When you venture out on the water, it’s likely that you want to take your phone with you. You probably have concerns about dropping it and getting it wet though. We take a look at why you might want to take your phone with you and how you can protect it with a waterproof phone pouch for paddle boarding.
There are many reasons why you should choose a waterproof paddle board phone pouch. Here are a few of the most important ones:
- To protect your phone from water damage. Paddle boarding is a water sport, so it’s important to protect your phone from water damage. A waterproof phone case will keep your phone dry even if it falls in the water.
- To be able to use your phone while you’re paddle boarding. With a waterproof phone case, you can use your phone to take pictures, listen to music, or even make calls while you’re paddle boarding. This will help you stay connected with friends and family, and it will also help you make the most of your paddle boarding experience.
- To make your phone more buoyant. A waterproof phone case will make your phone more buoyant, which means it will be less likely to sink if it falls in the water. This will give you peace of mind knowing that your phone is safe, even if you happen to drop it.
- Safety. Having your phone with you is a good idea, especially if you are going out on the water alone should you get into trouble.
Choosing the best one for paddle boarding
But how do you know which one to choose? How do you know that it will actually protect your phone should it fall in the water? When choosing a waterproof phone pouch for paddle boarding, it is important to consider the following factors:
- Size: Make sure the pouch is large enough to fit your phone.
- Waterproof rating: The pouch should be IPX8 rated or higher to be waterproof up to 200 feet.
- Durability: It should be made of durable materials that can withstand the elements.
- Price: They range in price from around £10 to £100. Most come in between £10 and £20 on Amazon.
Understanding IP Rating
IP rating is a system developed by the International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC) to rate the ability of an electrical enclosure to protect against the intrusion of foreign objects and water. The IP rating is a two-digit code, with the first digit indicating the level of protection against solids and the second digit indicating the level of protection against water.
The first digit of the IP rating scale ranges from 0 to 6, with 0 indicating no protection and 6 indicating complete protection. The second digit of the IP rating scale ranges from 0 to 8, with 0 indicating no protection and 8 indicating protection against continuous immersion in water up to a depth of 1 meter for up to 8 hours.
For example, an IP68-rated enclosure is completely protected against dust and can be immersed in water up to a depth of 1 meter for up to 8 hours.
The IP rating is an important consideration when choosing an electrical enclosure for a particular application. The enclosure should be rated to protect against the types of hazards that are present in the application. For example, an enclosure that is used in a dusty environment should be at least IP5X rated.
Here is a table that shows the IP rating scale and its corresponding protection levels:
|IP Rating||Protection against solids||Protection against water|
|0||No protection||No protection|
|1||Protection against large objects (>50mm)||Dripping water|
|2||Protection against small objects (>12mm)||Splashing water|
|3||Protection against dust||Spraying water|
|4||Protection against dust and water jets||Water jets from any direction|
|5||Protection against dust and low-pressure jets of water||Immersion up to 1 meter for 30 minutes|
|6||Protection against dust and high-pressure jets of water||Immersion up to 3 meters for 30 minutes|
|7||Protection against temporary immersion in water up to 1 meter||Immersion up to 5 meters for 30 minutes|
|8||Protection against continuous immersion in water up to 1 meter||Continuous immersion in water up to 10 meters|
It is important to note that the IP rating is only a guide and does not guarantee that an enclosure will be completely protected against all hazards. The actual level of protection provided by an enclosure will depend on the specific design and construction of the enclosure.
No matter which waterproof phone pouch you choose, make sure to test it out before you head out on your paddle board. This will help you ensure that the pouch is properly sealed and that your phone will be protected from the elements
Additional benefits of using a waterproof paddle board phone case:
- Peace of mind: Knowing that your phone is protected from water damage can give you peace of mind while you’re paddle boarding.
- Portability: Waterproof phone cases are typically small and lightweight, making them easy to carry with you.
- Convenience: Waterproof phone cases allow you to use your phone without having to worry about it getting wet.
If you’re looking for a way to protect your phone from water damage while you’re paddle boarding, a waterproof phone case is the perfect solution.
Which Waterproof Phone Pouch Should You Choose?
There are a wealth of waterproof phone pouches to choose from on sites like Amazon. Here are a couple of our favourites.
YOSH Waterproof Phone Pouch
[Excellent IPX8 Certified Waterproof] Every waterproof case has been tested under water at 30 meters depth for half an hour before delivery. Tips: Pouch was made of plastic so please do a waterproof test with tissue every time before using, this is very important to protect your phone.
YOSH 2023 TPU Waterproof Phone Pouch with Emergency Survival Whistle
Like the above but this one comes with a whistle